Friday, July 27, 2012

Granola

After several tries I think I've found the granola I like best.  It is a very basic, classic granola.  This is Alton Brown's recipe, but I prefer to use honey instead of maple syrup and use coconut oil instead of the canola.  I love the hint of salt in this!



3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashew pieces
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil (or canola)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.  In a separate bowl combine the honey, syrup, oil and salt.  Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans.  Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.  Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl to cool.  Add raisins.

I usually leave the raisins out and mix them in on a bowl by bowl basis.  Sometimes I'll add raisins, sometimes I throw in a few chocolate chips, sometimes just fresh fruit and yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment