Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cranberry Pecan Scones

10/6/11 note: brought these to a Bible study and several people asked for the recipe.   Scones are so easy to make, and I haven't tried it with this recipe but I know for other scone recipes the batter can be made and shaped the night before and then baked in the morning.  You can even cut out and freeze them before baking- just bake from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time.
--

These had such a great chewy texture - it almost felt like I was eating a cookie.  So of course I loved them.  Elliot ate three, so I guess he liked them too.  The picture isn't so great, but I like all the light coming in from the background windows. 




Ingredients
 

2 cups flour (I used about half white whole wheat and half whole wheat pastry)
1 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I used buttermilk)
coarse sugar for topping



Directions

Preheat oven to 375. 

Mix dry ingredients together, cut in the butter until it looks crumbly.  Stir in the fruit and nuts.  Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough comes together.


Turn the dough onto a floured surface and cut into two pieces.  Form each half into a round disk. With a bench scraper or sharp knife, cut each disk into 8 wedges and transfer to a baking sheet.  If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking.


Bake 20 minutes or until just beginning to brown.  Serve warm. 

1 comment:

  1. These just came out of the oven - very good! I love the taste of the oats in them. I added some grated orange peel and some orange juice concentrate to mine.

    ReplyDelete