Monday, July 18, 2011

Chicken stock

I've been trying to make more and more things from scratch, and one of my favorite things to make homemade is chicken stock.  It is very easy, much less expensive than buying it, and much better for you as most brands contain additives like MSG.  I especially love that I can control the amount of sodium since it is hard to find sodium free chicken stock and it's usually expensive.  It makes a big batch (like 6 quarts) that I freeze in one cup containers to use for all kinds of things - the base for soups, cooking rice, making baby food, stir fries, etc...  there are lots of dishes that call for a little chicken stock.  When I know I'm going to be using the bones to make stock I will spend the extra money on the good quality free range chickens.  It helps justify the cost knowing I'm going to use every bit of the bird!

Just today I read in Nourishing Traditions about how great homemade stock is for you.  There are over two pages talking about the benefits of minerals, electrolytes, and gelatin found in homemade stock.  She says that adding a little vinegar "helps to draw minerals, particularly calcium, magnesium and potassium, into the broth."  So I will probably try that next time.  She uses 2 Tablespoons for 4 quarts of broth.  I usually make about 6 quarts, so will put in 3 Tablespoons.  Here's my version:




2-3 Chicken carcasses (or 4 pounds), including necks, gizzards, and feet if you have them.
2 onions, unpeeled and quartered
4 carrots, unpeeled and halved
4 celery stalks, with leaves
2 bay leaves
fresh thyme
fresh parsley
a clove of garlic, halved
2 Tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons peppercorns
water to cover (about 6 or 7 quarts)
3 Tablespoons vinegar

Place everything in a large stockpot, bring to boil and simmer 4-8 hours.  Strain out solids and put broth in refrigerator overnight.  The next day skim fat from top and divide into containers to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment